[Avodah] Love of the Imahos

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 13:39:45 PDT 2008

From: "Rich, Joel" <JRich at sibson.com>
>>I never really  thought about this before, but if it is our understanding
that each man only  had one "zivug rishon",  polygamy implies some women
will end up in this  Leah role; "destined" to be second fiddle?  And when
the gemara says  that before birth the bat kol says bat ploni lploni,
does that include those  who are destined not to be a "true zivug"?<<

KT
Joel  Rich

I don't know if there's any source that discusses this  but I have always
assumed that when the bas kol says "Bas Ploni lePloni" that  each Ploni gets only
one designated Bas Ploni.  As for the possibility  of a woman ending up with
a husband who is someone other than her  designated Ploni -- we know that that
is possible from the very fact that Leah  was designated for Esav but ended
up with Yakov.

Each of the Avos had one "main" wife or real wife.  For Avraham it was
obviously Sarah.  For Yakov, it was Rochel.  Dovid Hamelech had many  wives but it
seems that his "true" designated zivug was Batsheva -- who was  already
married to someone else when Dovid met her, so it seems she initially  married a man
who was not her "true" zivug.

Luckily for us (or not) we can't hear the bas kol so we just have to muddle
through, making the best choices we can with the information we have.  I  read
recently that each person marries the best-looking and smartest person who
will marry him[her], and thus most marriages end up being between two people of
 roughly equal looks and intelligence.  The same article (in Time) also said
that most people make their choice within the available pool at the time, and
 don't spent their whole  life looking to see if there's someone else  around
the bend who is just a little bit better looking and just a little bit
smarter (and will still accept them), because if they did do that, they either
would never get married at all or their marriages would be highly unstable and
impermanent.

--Toby Katz

President Reagan talked with the Soviets while pushing ahead  with the
deployment of Cruise and Pershing missiles in Europe. He spoke softly —  after
getting himself a bigger stick.  --Mark Steyn