[Avodah] the cohen gadol and marriage to a pubescent girl

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Thu Jul 3 03:38:28 PDT 2008

> From: T613K at aol.com:

>  If,  for example, you are a
> vegetarian and find the very thought of meat repulsive --  are you
> obligated to
> work on yourself and change your personal tastes, knowing  that when the
> Bais
> Hamikdash is rebuilt, you will have to eat the Korban  Pesach?  I don't
> think so
> -- I think you are still allowed to say, "I don't  like meat" -- but must
> admit I have no sources.  (You'll still have to eat  the Korban Pesach,
> but you
> won't have to enjoy it.)

No, you can go out of it. Go to a funeral a  few days before Pesach and help
with the burial. You just did a mitzva and won't have to eat something you
consider disgusting.

> In the case of marriage, the halacha is clear that a woman is never
> married
> against her will, so any 12-year-old girl who does not want to marry the
> Kohen
> Gadol -- does not have to.  She is under no compulsion to change her
> feelings.

Maybe a woman isn't married against her will but a girl can be. Her father
can marry her off (doreitta) or her brother and/or mother (d'rabbanan). In
the latter case she can get out of it without a get, but married she most
certainly is. And this was done in Jewish communities all around the world.

Ben