[Avodah] Atonement Erev Yom Kippur, Appeasing the Victim

Meir Rabi meirabi at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 25 08:34:38 PDT 2008

Shulchan Oruch Siman 606 discusses the need to mollify those we have hurt.

Although the Siman is titled, "The Duty of Appeasing One's Friend Before Yom
Kippur" the Mechaber does not actually mention the timing. He simply
describes that YK alone will not remedy inter-personal sins until the victim
is mollified; and elaborates on how to go about achieving that.

The Mishneh Berurah however explains that there is an obligation related to
this day that compels us before YK to gain atonement. And this obligation is
quite independent of the personal duty to seek forgiveness by mollifying the
victim. He explains that although there is a duty and obligation all year to
appease, that may somehow get delayed because one has no time.

I wonder if someone may be able to offer some explanation of what this
means. Which Mitzvos are we obliged to perform but can legitimately delay
because we do not have sufficient time?

The MB continues: this day preceding YK brings a NEW obligation to mollify
the victim. This obligation emerges from the Passuk, Ki BaYom HaZeh YeChaper
... This Passuk is not just describing HKBH's kindness in forgiving us but
is obligating us to ensure that on YK we are cleansed and forgiven.

Does anyone know anymore about this obligation?

I believe the Kaf HaChaim quoting the Tur and the Levush has a different
opinion. The obligation stems from the communal obligation to be clean from
all sin. If any one individual is not repented then the entire community is
vulnerable to the accusations of SamoEl and we may all be denied
forgiveness. It is the community need that compels the individual to mollify
his victim. It would appear to be a very serious example of Arvus - communal
responsibility.

We might observe from this the power of just one individual over the
community and the responsibility that the entire community bears for just
one individual who is too stubborn or arrogant or too weak, to mollify his
victim.

Perhaps the MB intends to refer to the reason suggested in the Tur, that the
Passuk Ki BaYom is directed to the community who have this obligation.

Shana Tova
Meir