[Avodah] Beware: Glatt May Not Always Mean Kosher

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Jul 10 06:43:50 PDT 2008

At 08:47 AM 7/10/2008, Zev Sero wrote:

>Micha Berger wrote:
>
> > Glatt chicken? There is no problem of sirchos in an owf. Why is anyone
> > worrying about checked lungs? I AM SO confused!
>
>On the contrary, an off with sirchos is treif lechol hadeos.

In the U.S., lung adhesions usually do not occur on fowl; hence the
rest of this discussion concerns only meat, not
chicken.<http://www.kashrut.com/articles/glatt/#3>3

3. The lungs of fowl can have defects that render it treifa, but not
the same kind of adhesions that occur in animals. There are those who
feel that nowadays fowl lung problems are also becoming more
prevalent and thus require a visual and tactile inspection of fowl
lungs (Rav Moshe Sternbuch, Tshuvot v Hanhagot 2:369).

 From http://www.kashrut.com/articles/glatt/#3 by Rabbi Dr. Ari Zivotofsky

Yitzchok Levine