[Avodah] Yeshivishe Peyos

Doron Beckerman beck072 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 14:16:14 PDT 2007

Regarding the Yirah/Ahavah and Assei/Lavin, R' Yosef Engel says that
generally speaking Asei Docheh Lo Saaseh because Ahavas Hashem should
generally be more of our focus in our service of Hashem than Yirah (is this
a Ramban Al HaTorah perhaps?) but Ain Assei Docheh Lo Saaseh SheBaMikdash
because of Mora Mikdash - there the Yir'ah overrides the Ahavah. (That part
is  R' Yosef Engel).

Also related to this is the fact that after the Akeidah Hashem tells Avraham
that now He knows that Avraham is a 'Yarei Elokim', since he was willing to
sacrifice his son. Nobody would ever sacrifice my son out of fear of
consequences. I believe that the Ksav V'Kabbalah (I might be wrong about
that source) there explains that the type of Yirah referred to there is the
Yirah of denting the relationship.