[Avodah] wearing tzitzit outside

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 13 17:54:57 PDT 2007

On Wed, June 13, 2007 4:02 am, RDBannett wrote:
: IIRC, my source for the CC's remark to his son-in-law and
: grandson re: the misunderstanding of the MB statement re"
: tzitzit out is none other than our R' Seth....
: BTW, it is not uncommon for talmidim to write up their
: rebbe's Torah for publication and misunderstanding sometimes
: occurs.

Except that RSM didn't blame the talmidim.

Rather, in a different thread he points to the haqdamah to the MB,
which says that the seifer's intent is to provide a survey of opinions
that post-date the standardized SA page's nosei keilim. From this, RSM
concludes that the MB is a book of theory, what the pesaq would be
purely on the merits of the lomdus.

See <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol09/v09n055.shtml#04>,
particularly the last paragraph

For R' Dr Haym Soloveitchik fans: I guess that would translate into
saying that the CC was not necessarily any less of a mimeticist than
the AhS. However, the AhS was lema'aseh, and the MB is a book of
textualist theory -- and lemaaseh would still require more mimetic
contributions.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

PS: For those who came too late to "meet" him, RDB and I are
discussing the contribution of R' Seth Mandel, who used to contribute
quite regularly before the OU stole him from us. Now, he's too busy
making sure people sell me only kosher meat...

BCC: RSM, so that he can correct any misrepresentation on my part. In
the first paragraph; the textualist/mimeticist thing is my own
extension of what I understood RSM to prove.

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,