[Avodah] Yeshivishe Peyos

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 08:49:13 PDT 2007

<What about noi mitzvah, which is a qiyum of zeh Keili  ve'anveihu? [--R'
Micha Berger]

>>....it only applies to an aseh
and not a lav. There is no  mitzva to have peyos, the mitzva is not to
cut them off, therefore how can  there be noi mitzvah?<< [--R' Marty Bluke]

>>Why assume it  doesn't apply to lavin?<< [--mi]

>>Having a pretty case  for an esrog or megilla shows chibuv mitzvah.  Is
there an element of  chibuv for lavim?  ....Where does the halachic
literature talk about noi  mitzvah?  Is there any precedent of noi mitzvah for lavim?
<<  [--R' Michael Kopinsky]

This discussion reminded me of two things:

1. My father didn't have long payos himself, but he tremendously loved  long
payos.  He used to have a special affection for any old Jew with long  payos.
At some level, it seems, he must have felt that long payos were  somehow more
authentic or showed more Jewish pride than short  Litvishe/American payos.
My father was a Gerrer chossid but didn't wear  the garb until the last years
of his life.  I must ask my brothers if he  also grew his payos long then -- if
he did, he kept them hidden under his  yarmulke.  But I know he loved a Yid
with payos.

2.  Recently I heard a tape of a shiur -- alas, I don't  remember who gave
it! -- and on the tape the speaker asked, "Why do mothers curl  their little
boys' payos?  Because they love their payos so  much."

On another thread -- the fig-wasp thread -- R' Micha wrote:

>>But I don't think this is true, because it fails the Kuzari Test.  I asked
around, and no one around here heard of their grandmothers soaking their
vegetables in vinegar. <<

If "what our grandmothers did" is a source, then here you have a strong
source for the custom of growing long payos, as well as support for the thesis
that one can love a lav so much that one wants to beautify it, or I should say,
one can so love the /results/ of the lav -- which means, love the payos  that
grow as a result of fulfilling the lav not to cut them.

--Toby  Katz