[Avodah] Har Habayit

Yisrael Medad yisrael.medad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 00:43:59 PDT 2007

I was at a meeting yesterday and Rav Yisrael Ariel spoke about the criticism
the Hareidi world has against doing anything at all about the Har Habayit
and visciously criticising anybody who does.

In reading this:

*Concerning the issue of sinners coming to Israel. The Shomer Emunim
Rebbe once told me that the higher the kedusha of a place the greater is
midos hadin. He said he knows rabbonim who would not live in Jerusalem
because of this factor. It would follow from this that the consequences
of sinning while living in Israel are greater than for those living in
New York. On the other hand the consequences of doing a mitzva are also
greater. To put it another way, the chances of greater return on onc's
investment in doing mitzvos has to be weighted against the chances of
greater loss for sin.*

I thought I'd quote something he said.

The main opposition from a Halachic point of view is the possibility of
karet in entering certain areas within the present-day compound.  If karet
is the threat, RYA said, and we shouldn't do anything to investigate, to
review the literature, discuss with arceologists, etc., according to this
approach, then what are we do about getting married?  There are so many
karet issues, down to a mustard-colored drop of blood (or not as the case
may be), that this should put us off from getting entangled in the
possibility of violating a lo ta'aseh which carries the karet weight of
punishment not to mention other issues which marriage presents troubles
for.  But no one says 'don't get into any doubt'.  But with Har Habayit,
they all do say that.

Is the issue then halachic or...ideological haskafa?

Which brings me to the Shomer Emunim and the Muncatzcher approach.  In one
of his books, Pierkage (sp?)  traces this approach of "EY is too holy" but I
think we all know that history and the thinking of the Em HaBanim S'meicha
has shown how wrong-headed this was.  It is not a question of proper
analysis of sources but an attempt to fit the Halacha to an outlook.  The
same with the VaYoel Moshe who gets into exactly what the Sitra Achra knows,
wants, desires and forgets about HKBH and simple Torah.

--
Yisrael Medad
Shiloh