[Avodah] Ashkenazic pronunciation of "HaShem"

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Mon Jun 4 14:08:36 PDT 2007

Re: << I have seen it argued that this is a remnant of an earlier
Ashkenazic pronunciation, which was similar to the Sephardi one.
Also cited was the word "p'shat", which we ought to pronounce "p'shot".

And many others. In Yiddish one says yam for the sea, not yom. and
we talk of a "stam" mishneh instead of "se-som" mishnoh. (sh'va na'
in first letter and, therefore, no dagesh in the tav).

One does hear both mistama and mistoma. But in Ashkenasic pronunciation
it should be mis-se-somo (dagesh in samakh as make-up for missing nun,
sh'va na', tav rafa and k'matzim).

Languages are funny.

David