[Avodah] shelo osani ...

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Jun 3 13:55:02 PDT 2007

In a message dated 5/27/2007 R' Michael Kopinsky wrote:

>>1. The number of places where the nusach hatefilla changes  because of
masculine/feminine is very few.  (The only ones I'm aware of  are in
modeh/modah ani and in Elokai Neshama.) <<

In Tefilla Zaka said on Yom Kippur eve, among the list of things "I did
wrong with the limbs You gave me" is the following:  "Al yedei hirhurim  ra'im
basi lidei hotza'as zera levatala."  In the ArtScroll machzor, these  words are
placed within brackets, indicating they are to be said only by  men.  Actually,
to me it seems that whoever wrote Tefilla Zaka had only men  in mind and it
didn't occur to him that women might also recite this  tefilla.  (However,
since it now seems to be the accepted thing to do, I do  say the Tefilla Zaka --
sans that particular phrase of course -- with  special kavana for the paragraph
forgiving those who spoke loshon hara about me  and fervently praying that
those about whom I spoke L'H will forgive  me!)

--Toby  Katz