[Avodah] determining G-d's actions

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sat Jun 2 23:05:39 PDT 2007

On 5/25/2007 RET wrote:

>>I saw a nice vort from the Brisker Rav over Shavuot.
He  mentions that according to the Medrash Tanchuma Boaz dies the very night
that  he married Ruth after she was pregnant. The Griz said that he imagined
the  wags of the day stating that it was obvious that Boaz was punished  for
marrying Ruth the Moabite. After all both Machlon and Boaz died and Boaz
immediately
after the marriage. The "obvious" conclusion is that G-d was  announcing that
it
was prohibited to marry a Moabite and Boaz was a  sinner.<<

My father said in a shiur (and I think there is something similar in the
introduction to the ArtScroll Megillas Rus) that the Hashgacha didn't want a
wave of Moabite women coming into Klal Yisrael -- but only this one tzadekes,
Rus.  When Boaz died, people thought that maybe the Sanhedrin had erred in
permitting Ruth's gerus, and indeed the issue remained clouded for years.   Thus,
no more Moabite women were permitted to convert.

--Toby  Katz