[Avodah] shelo osani ...

mkopinsky at gmail.com mkopinsky at gmail.com
Thu May 31 09:52:29 PDT 2007

On 5/31/07, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> Well, there are two dialects of Hebrew which do use both "HaMaqom"
> and "lekha" -- Abazit and modern liturgical Ashkenazis. We may open the
> berakhah "Modim anakhnu Lakh", but a short while later we say "nodeh Lekha
> unsapeir tehilasekha .. beyadekha", rather than "nodeh Lakh unsapeir
> tehilasakh", and then the berakhah switches back to "pequdos Lakh".
> But in general, "-kha" wins the Ashkenazi popularity contest. (As opposed
> to Sepharad's "qadsheinu bemitzvotakh, vetein chelqeinu betoratakh,
> sabe'einu mituvakh, vesamach nafsheinu biyshuasakh".)

Interestingly, (like many other areas) Nusach Sefard seems to be a
compromise between Ashkenazi and Sefardi suffixes l'inyan zeh:

Ashkenaz (in Mussaf kedusha) has "naaritz'cha v'nakdish'cha".  Nusach
Sefard has (in shacharis) "Nakdishach v'naaritzach", conforming with the
sefardim.  They do say "ham'shalsh'lim lecha kedusha".  I can't remember
whether Sefardim say lecha or lach there.

KT,
Michael