[Avodah] har habayit

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Tue May 29 13:08:25 PDT 2007

<As I don't have Rav Goren's book with me at the office, I can't give his
exact figures but he lays out about seven different shitot to illustrate how
the Bet HaMikdash could be fitted into the Temple Mount and, just as the
Mishna has it, Middot 2:1, the most expanisve 'clear' area is on the south,
followed by the east, north and west where it becomes the narrowest.
Nevertheless, there is room outside of the 500 square cubit.  >

I dont have R. Goren's sefer but I tend to doubt he used the CI shiur
for the amah.

I found several articles in techumum on the place of the Temple.
1. In 14:437-472 and 23:517-544 and again in 25:514 542 Toviah Sagiv (an
architect)
argues for a southern location of the Temple. In particular the present
southern and eastern walls of the Temple mount were the borders of the
halachic har habayit.
(doesnt seem to fit the description given by Medad above)
In particular he decides (vol 23) that according to the Radvaz one
cannot eneter anywhere on the Temple mount but only in houses and roofs
overlooking the mount on the east or north

2. In 16:458-502 discusses various possibilities and various shitot
for the Amah. He rejects CI (Chatam Sofer is even bigger!) as completely
impossible to fit in the present walls. He also rejects an amah of
44cm and is left with 52cm or 48cm.
He accepts the eastern wall as a boundary of the 500 amot area but not the
southern wall with kodash hakadoshim on the rock.

If we were to consider both these possibilities there is almost no place
left on the Temple mount that is certainly not in the 500 square har
habayit.
Furthermore if one accepts the CI of amah=58cm there is a little space on
the south, nothing on the east or west and most on the north
(see picture 5 on p487)

I am not capable of making any decisions between these opinions.
But it seems that each shitah has its problems.
Again I personally find the shiur of CI quite impossible for many reasons.
However, for those that do accept it there is really no place to walk around
except entering from the south (not presently an option) and staying near
shaarei chulda.

--
Eli Turkel