[Avodah] kashrus of milk

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 29 14:48:59 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 1:35 pm, Rich, R Joel wrote:
: I don't understand the above statement - the number of cows involved
: has nothing to do with the probability of treifot unless you have
: greater knowledge.  And if this statement is correct, and Micha's
: numbers are correct, then even without this DA stuff you have a ratio
: worse than 1/60 in most cases so it would seem that each
: country/state/farm(?) would have to do a test to see if their herds are
: at the 1/60 level
: (or back to the MRI/ben pakua herds)

Numbers I find in a Google aren't really mine.

Howevber, those numbers were the percentage who get DA. Of those,
those healthy enough for surgery are operated on and thereby are
tereifos. The farming web site I found didn't give statistics for
other forms of tereifos. It merely established the likelihood that
more than 1:60 are tereifos because of DA surgery. If 1:60 is a
meaningful measure,

However, I see this case not as one of straight bitul, but of the
machloqes about whether the odds of the components of a ta'aroves add
back together. If so, then according to the Rash, the mixed milk would
be decided by the combined odds of each of the cows involved. But even
according to the Rash would be rov, not bitul beshishim.

And then add to that the question of whether the Rash would even be
machmir by a ruba deleisa leqaman. The case of the ta'aroves was where
the set including the cheilev was reconstituted and eaten. By a leisa
leqaman, there is no such set.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,