[Avodah] yishuv EY

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Tue May 29 10:42:00 PDT 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007 00:12:18 -0600 SBA <sba at sba2.com> wrote:
>>>Should one who knows he may not be able to keep shabbos day
>>>perfectly not make kiddush at night?
>
>Maybe your question should be:
>"Should (or can) one who knows he may not be able to keep shabbos
>day perfectly - be motzi others with kiddush at night?"

Do you have a source to say he can't (or shouldn't)?

Note, I see the s'vara to say that a shomer shabbos shouldn't be
yotzei with him l'chatchila, but that's not the same thing.

[I put the following out of order, because it is a tangent to the
subject at hand.]

>Hopefully he uses yayin mevushal...

I assume this is a joke but I have wondered about it.  Does anyone
know a source that discusses this issue?  Do we say that since
ta'amim for the gezeriah are not relevant (is he really choshesh
that he himself did AZ) he can drink it?  Or do we say lo plug.

The obvious practical case: is giving a non-mevushal kosher wine as
a gift to a non-frum person (or even pouring them a glass) lifnei
iver?

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu