[Avodah] Torah Lishmah

reuven koss kmr5 at zahav.net.il
Sat May 26 14:57:32 PDT 2007

> To what degree does Torah study "lishmah" mean one or more of these?
>
> 1.? Study to understand the subject matter as deeply as possible
> 2.? Study to become closer to HaShem
> 3.? Study for the sake of HaShem's glory
> 4.? Study to be able to practice mitzvot properly (or at least to know
> how, in the case of mitzvot that?the Jew?can't personally do because the
> Beit HaMikdash isn't operating, or?he's not a Kohen, etc.)
> 5.? Study for any other reason (give details)
>
> Thanks!

There  is a "teffila" that some say before they learn, it reads like this:
hareinee rotzeh lilmod k'dei sheyvi-aynee hatalmud leeday maaseh vleeday
midos yesharos vleeday yedios hatorah.

So -1.? "Study to understand the subject matter as deeply as possible " is
included in yedios hatorah.
"2.? Study to become closer to HaShem" is an outcome of learning lishmah.
"3.? Study for the sake of HaShem's glory"  I would include it with midos
yesharos - when one has good midos then he can make a lot of "kiddush
hashems" with what ever he does.  also this is an outcome of ones learning
"4.? Study to be able to practice mitzvot properly (or at least to know how,
in the case of mitzvot that?the Jew?can't personally do because the Beit
HaMikdash isn't operating, or?he's not a Kohen, etc.)" is included in leeday
maaseh.
reuven