[Avodah] Ascending to the Har Habayit

Yisrael Medad yisrael.medad at gmail.com
Sat May 26 14:14:16 PDT 2007

Shoshana wrote that:

*you can't even move your
lips in prayer on the Temple Mount -- without getting thrown in jail.*
Actually, you just get very unceremoniously removed.  But the point is well
taken, the Waqf controls the Temple Mount as a religious/holy site and
despite the fact that Jews consider it sacred to be treated according to
religious instructions, like putting up signs where one can enter and where
one can't, for example, a Jew is "identity-less" there.  He is but a tourist
but as someone with claims - nada.  Even the Ministry of Religious Affairs
does not define the Temple Mount as a *Jewish* holy site.

Micha wrote:

*This may explain why RALichtenstein would be opposed to going up to Har
haBayis. Even if he thought the science was theoretically correct, it
carries no halachic weight.*
My guess is that he opposes ascending to the Har Habayit mainly because he
feels that it is an improper act that might encourage "Messianic" theology
as I am sure that with a PhD in English literature, he respects science and
its contribution to Halachic resolutions of problems.  Even he would admit
that a little archeological digging, measurements, etc. would probably
reveal to us, at the very least, where the 500 cubit square wasn't within
today's Temple Mount compound even if to exactly locate each and every
particular including the Altar would be perhaps too difficult.  But if we do
have that information, that would would mean we could ascend to certain
portions, which would lead to heightened Mikdash cognizance which would lead
to further Mikdash studies, which would not sit well with RAL's outlook of
the political world.

But maybe someone on this list could simply ask him.

--
Yisrael Medad
Shiloh