[Avodah] Torah study vs/ other contributions to society

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 25 13:38:49 PDT 2007

I blogged my impressions of RYHutner's concept that I called the
preference of living a "broad life". See
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2007/05/a-broad-life.shtml>. This touches
both on talmud Torah vs other mitzvos as well as mitzvos vs persuing a
career.

I am befuddled by the amount of attention we're giving Megillah 16b.
After all, Mordechai himself, the subject of the discussion, chose
hatzalas hefashos. "Im la'eis kazos", even though he was sure that
others were available. "Rov echav", most of Anshei Keneses haGedolah
approved to the point of not thinking less of him.

Well, the SA (YD 251:14) says it's mutar to take money from learning
Torah to pay off the gov't, since that's hatzalas nefashos. The Ta"z
(6) answers how this is not soseir our gemara, which places TT first.
It's not about what he ought to do, but about being better off being
the kelaf upon which TSBP is written than needing to answer the call
of hatzalas nefashos.

Clearly, the Taz holds our gemara is not prescriptive.

The Chasam Sofer (parashas Zachor, pg 193) writes that Mordechai got
the job of hatzalas nefashos because HQBH valued his learning less.
That's why Hashem put him in a place where his Torah study was
interrupted, rather than doing the same to theirs. And when Anshei
Kenesses haGedolah saw this, they demoted him one level.