[Avodah] ROY on diluted wine

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 25 10:57:19 PDT 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 7:19 am, R Eli Turkel wrote:
: [BADATZ] have a similar
: fight with ROY because they refuse to say on their wines and grape
: juices which are too diluted for Sephardom to use. Therefore ROY had
: probited all eda charedit wines and grape juices unless one knows for
: sure that they are not diluted with water.

We learn in the gemara (Eiruvin 54a) that normal mezigas hakos is 1
part wine to two parts water, and Rava was identifiable for mixing 1
part wine to 3 parts water. (R' Yosef, who was blind, could tell Rava
mixed his wine.) So, (1) I'm surprised to learn this issue is a
machloqes between Ashk and Sepharad, and (2) I'm surprised to learn
there is wine sold that is more than 75% added water! There is nothing
in the gemara suggesting that Rava's ma'aseh rav is a rejected shitah.

I'm obviously missing something.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,