[Avodah] Yizkor second day yom tov in E'Y

Ilana Sober sober at pathcom.com
Mon May 14 18:48:54 PDT 2007

My understanding is that the custom to leave the shul during Yizkor is davka
for those whose parents are both living. Is it out of respect for the
parents, or to avoid ayin hara? Even there, I have sometimes heard requests
that everyone should remain in shul for Yizkor at least for the prayers on
behalf of groups (those who died in the shoah, chayalei tzahal), or in shuls
where the congregation is overwhelmingly young and very few people need to
say Yizkor. (And there are people like me - I say Yizkor for my husband
although both my parents are b"H alive and well.) But I have never heard of
people who have already lost a parent leaving during Yizkor. Especially
since I assume you will be with your mother, and I would imagine she would
prefer that you not leave.

- Ilana