[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to soCIETY

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Sun May 13 16:12:52 PDT 2007

Samuel Svarc wrote:
> <me>
>>  see Tshuvoth HaRama #7.
>>
> <RMSS>
> Um, I looked at it, and it discusses if it's "prohibited". I fail to see why
> you keep on circling back to this point that wasn't in our discussion.

The purported prohibition it discusses is the permissibility of studying Greek philosophy, not of spending time away from Torah.  The Rama told his cousin the Maharshal that he spent some of his time studying philosophy, even though ikkar zman limudo was halacha, and the Maharshal called him on the substance of what he studied, but neither of them thought that it was inappropriate for the future gadol hador to spend time away from Torah.  According to you both of them should have agreed that this was inappropriate behavior.

David Riceman