[Avodah] Mechallel Shemitah beFarhesia

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Sun May 13 14:24:31 PDT 2007

RMB wrote:
> What the question shows is that there is a more complex relationship
> between shemittah and ma'aseh bereishis than that of Shabbos.
> Something for the Chinukh's or RSRH's successors to work with to
> produce a more subtle, nuanced and meaningful understanding of
> shemittah.

That a public Shabbat desecrator is considered to be kofeir bema'aseh
vereishit is fairly easy to grasp, since the Torah makes the link between
Shabbat and ma'aseh vereishit. However, shemittah is not explicitly linked
with MB. Hence, a shemittah desecrator wouldn't be transgressing something
which is explicitly linked with one of the foundations of belief. Any link
between Shabbat and shemittah seems IMHO too indirect to make shemittah
desecration equal kofeir bema'aseh vereishit.

I hope that in the current rewording it no longer seems like my objection
isakin to someone raising a question based on a Rav Chaim and getting a reply
that his question shows the problem with relying on lomdus." BTW, when I
complained against using ta'amei hamitzvot in that way, it was because we
should differentiate between that, which is arrived at through plain reading,
and that, which is arrived at through philosophical speculation. The latter
may be true, as well, but doesn't carry the same weight.

KT,
--
Arie Folger
http://www.ariefolger.googlepages.com