[Avodah] Mechallel Shemitah beFarhesia

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun May 13 09:08:18 PDT 2007

On Sun, May 13, 2007 6:17 am, R Arie Folger wrote:
:> A mechalel Shabbos befarhesia is equal to a mumar lekhol haTorah
:> kulah. However, I do not know of a parallel for a mechallel shemitah
:> befarhesia.
: This perhaps shows the problem with relying too much on ta'amei
: hamitzvot. In the case of Shabbat, the Torah explicitly makes that
: link (Shemot 20:11), in the case of shemittah, I can't recall such a
: link.

I fail to see a "problem". I found your reaction akin to someone
raising a question based on a Rav Chaim and getting a reply that his
question shows the problem with relying on lomdus. Lehefech, the
questioner was looking for more lomdus!

What the question shows is that there is a more complex relationship
between shemittah and ma'aseh bereishis than that of Shabbos.
Something for the Chinukh's or RSRH's successors to work with to
produce a more subtle, nuanced and meaningful understanding of
shemittah.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,