[Avodah] Meat that is NOT Fleishig? Non Terief Cows for Milk - Why Not BP Cows?

Dr. Josh Backon backon at vms.huji.ac.il
Thu May 10 23:06:09 PDT 2007

At 08:34 PM 5/11/2007, Meir Rabi wrote:
>Shalom Josh,
>
>I believe I have seen that earlier post of yours in my scoutings.
>
>The Rabbanut of Jm suggested that the herd be protected by the army and high
>tech surveillance equipment.  I think the island idea is a better option.

Only a deserted island in the South Pacific guarded by navy patrol boats
would ensure the impossibility of bringing "normal" cows and mating them
with the progeny of a Ben and Bat Pekuah. I can see the lone mashgiach there
singing, "Some enchanted evening" and building 2 shuls: the one he'll attend
and the other (spitting in disgust) he'll NEVER step foot into :-)

>Who suggests that the meat is not fleishig?

L'chuli alma lo pligi: everyone says the meat isn't fleishig [though there
is an issur of dam !].

>The prohibition of Chazal was not absolute, not every BP requires Shechitah.
>In fact the Gaonim were at pains to ensure that this tradition not be
>forgotten and would thus take BP to public functions, kill them and feed the
>masses.

Fascinating!  Do you have a source ???? This was actually done??

>meir

KT

Josh