[Avodah] Davening Netz (sic)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 10 14:32:37 PDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 1:40 pm, R Dov Bloom wrote:
: Netz would be a non-kosher bird, he-netz hachama would be the sunrise,
: the letter heh would be a crucial part of the form of this
: bird/oops/word. Netz hachama is I believe a common misnomer.

... and davening neitz would be AZ. <g>

But I think the error comes from rendering the hif'il "honeitz" (with
a qamatz, shown here as an "o" to make the point), which sounded
enough like "the neitz" to confuse people.

Honeitz is correct biblical Hebrew.

As for proper mishnaic Hebrew, this was discussed on mail-jewish.

R' Mark Steiner
<http://www.ottmall.com/mj_ht_arch/v37/mj_v37i83.html#CAAV> quotes the
Kaufman Codex, Berakhos 1:1 - "heneitz".

R' Mechy Frankel
<http://www.ottmall.com/mj_ht_arch/v37/mj_v37i89.html#CACZ> found in
the same codex Ta'anis 3:9, Pesachim 4:5 - "honeitz. He then cites
Yalon who in turn brings more ra'ayos for the use of honeitz in
mishnah.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,