[Avodah] Love your fellow as yourself

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Thu May 3 08:32:01 PDT 2007

On Thu, 03 May 2007 15:17:37 +0000 Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
wrote:
>Tangent: It could be that he was asking for an explanation of the
>whole Torah of a single principle, not "while standing on one
>foot". This would explain why Hillel doesn't follow his own advice
about
>not wasting time answering people who are trying to be silly; the
>question wasn't silly. I believe this is in the Gra, but as I
didn't find
>it, I may have my sources confused.

See the Kli Yakar on that pasuk, which seems to indicate that the
real question was, as a ger who would not have had a Torah
upbringing to accustom himself to mitzva obseravance is there one
principle he could keep in mind because kol haTorah kulah might be
too much to hold onto in all practical situations.  This, of
course, opens up the question of why Shammai did not respond
positively.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu