[Avodah] Matza on Pesach Sheni

David E Cohen ddcohen at gmail.com
Wed May 2 06:51:25 PDT 2007

R' Zev Sero wrote:
> Of course there is still a chance that we will eat matzah that
> night, not as a zecher lepesach sheni but as the pesach sheni
> itself.

It's not so clear that the Pesach Sheini would be brought if the Mikdash
were to be rebuilt between 14 Nisan and 14 Iyar.  R' Re'em Hakohen wrote an
article about this in last week's "Shabbat beShabbato."  The English version
can be found at
http://www.moreshet.co.il/web/alonparash/alon.asp?codeClient=632 -- choose
the "Acharei Mot / Kedoshim" edition from the drop-down menu.

RZS:
> In which case matzah in the afternoon might very well be assur...

I am doubtful of that as well.  On the night of Pesach Rishon, one eats
matzah both because of "...ba`erev tokhelu matzos" and because of
"...umatzos al merorim yokheluhu."  I suspect that the isur of matzah on
Erev Pesach stems from the former -- the independent chiyuv to each matzah
-- which is the flip side of the isur chameitz.

On Pesach Sheni, one eats matzah only as a din in the korban Pesach -- "al
matzos umrorim yokheluhu."  There is no independent chiyuv to eat matzah on
that night, and no isur chameitz.  Hence, there is no real mitzvah of
akhilas matzah that one would want to do with appetite, and no relevant
analogy to "bo`eil arusaso beveis chamiv."

--D.C.