[Avodah] Yom Haatzmaut and Behab

Michael Kopinsky mkopinsky at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 05:59:02 PDT 2007

On 4/19/07, kennethgmiller at juno.com <kennethgmiller at juno.com> wrote:

> R' Marty Bluke:
> > The answers that I received that Yom Haatzmaut is pushed off
> > until Tuesday, actually raises more questions. How exactly
> > does that work al pi halacha?
>
> R' Moshe Yehuda Gluck answered:
> > If Yom HaAtzmaut needs to have Hallel said on it, it is only
> > because of the original institution of the practice, which,
> > presumably, was made with this stipulation in mind.
>
> RMYG's presumption seems to be in error. As R' David Cohen wrote, the
> original institution of the practice did *not* have this stipulation
> in mind. It was to say Hallel on 5 Iyar; not later, and not earlier.
>
> Akiva Miller

Though it could be argued, that the original takanah was made with the
assumption that it would be modified by whatever later decisions of the
rabbanut.  The Rabbanut was (and is) also a political body, and I'm sure the
original rabbanim realized that there might be a necessity to later modify
any decisions that they made.

Michael