[Avodah] Torah study vs. other contributions to society

Doron Beckerman beck072 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:26:56 PDT 2007

Rn Chana Luntz writes:

>But if he sits in his
ivory tower of a yeshiva and learns b'Hasmada, how ultimately does he
differ from my computer (except that my computer does it better)?<

1) Your computer has no Neshama that is nourished by bytes of Torah
information.
2) Your computer is not fulfilling the Mitzvah of Talmud Torah K'neged
Kulam.
3) Your computer has no appreciation that it is absorbing the Chochmah of
the Borei Olam.
4) Your computer has no need to fulfill the Halachos contained in the stored
information
5) Your computer has no Bein Adam LaChaveiro interactions that need to be
guided by the Torah.
Our protege  interacts with his family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances,
and strangers on a daily basis, just not in the context of a particular
profession.