[Avodah] general bewilderment

David Riceman driceman at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 25 11:59:09 PDT 2007

I've been puzzling over three recent threads, and I thought I'd stuff them
all into one post.

1.  Someone suggested that the poskim of 100 years ago just knew that
electricity was assur on Shabbos without knowing why.  I would have thought
that this is contrary to the halachic process as described, e.g., by Rabbi
Feinstein in the introduction to his responsa, where he says that it's the
arguments, not the conclusions, which are of primary importance.

2.  Someone cited Rabbi Karelitz about the benefits of extremism.  This is,
of course, a mahloketh between the Rambam and R. Haim Vital, but I'm
surprised that no one observed that it requires a great deal more subtlety
and wisdom to be a successful extremist than to be a successful moderate
(except, of course, in extreme times).  What was the date of the letter, and
to whom was it written?

3.  I've never read Rabbi Lamm's book defining Torah UMadda, but I had the
impression that the fundamental question was whether science and humanities
had more than instrumental value (IIRC many years ago Rabbi Clark cited
Rabbi Lichtenstein on this list arguing the affirmative).  The discussants
here seem to presume that the answer is no, and instead are arguing whether
Torah has more than instrumental value.

David Riceman