[Avodah] Torah study vs. other contributions to society

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 16:08:43 PDT 2007

Samuel Svarc <ssvarc at yeshivanet.com> wrote:
    >From: "kennethgmiller at juno.com"
>Subject: Re: [Avodah] Torah study vs. other contributions to society
>
>Very simple. Yes, TuM does accept this approach, namely, if Torah
>study is what you excel at doing, then go for it. There's nothing in
>TuM which would want to prevent the world from having excellent
>rabbis. TuM simply acknowledges that there *IS* value in other
>studies, but chalilah that it would put them *above* Torah.

I agree that it is chalilah to place them above Torah, however, a major
spokesman for TuM gives them equality. As I quoted in Areivim Digest V14
#281, "Rabbi Norman Lamm describes the Torah u'Madda philosophy in the
following terms: "Torah, faith, religious learning on the side and madda,
science, worldly knowledge on the other, together offer us a more
over-arching and truer vision than either one set alone. Each set gives one
view of the Creator as well as his Creation, and the other a different
perspective that might not agree at all with the first....
Each alone is true, but only partially true; both together present the
possibility of a larger truth." Rabbi Lamm's words are taken from his book,
Torah U'Madda, page 236."

  Dr. Lamm has clearly and always put Torah ahaead of Mada. Your excerpt is merely a description of what  a totality  of knowledge might be versus the knowledege gained by each one alone. In other words he is saying thaqt both Torah and Mada are great and not assigning  relative value to either in this statement. His point is that studying both disclipnes  possibly gives one a larger truth than either one does by itself. One does not have to agree with that philosophy. But the fact is that  no where in your excerpt does he equate the two.

  HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/