[Avodah] Mincha

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 04:30:17 PDT 2007

I wrote:
<With regards to being mekabel shabbos, eating and then davening maariv
later, RHS mentioned in the name of the Rav (who I believe said it in
the name of the Gra) the following problem with that. He explained
that the 3 meals on Shabbos are each supposed to come after the
corresponding tefila. The meal at night after maariv, the morning meal
after shacharis and the third meal after mincha. I don't remember the
<exact reason why the meals are connected to the tefillas.

I found where RHS quotes this in the name of the Rav (Beis Yitzhak
1992 p. 60) and what the reason is.

The kedushas hayom of Shabbos is not mechayev you in simcha and
therefore oneg shabbos is a side mitzva and not part of the identity
of the day. Shabbos is supposed to be a day dedicated to Hashem.
Therefore he said, to eat the meal on Shabbos you need a matir, the
tefila. Because of this each meal is preceded by a tefila. He pointed
out that it is mashma like this from the Rambam as well. The Rambam
writes (Hilchos Shabbos 30:10) what the seder hayom of a person should
be and he writes that you daven then eat both regarding
Shacharis/Musaf and Mincha. He seems to be saying that this (first
daven then eat) is the proper way of doing things.