[Avodah] Yom Haatzmaut and Behab

Shalom Berger lookjed at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Apr 18 23:40:00 PDT 2007

<<
The answers that I received that Yom Haatzmaut is pushed off until
Tuesday, actually raises more questions. How exactly does that work al
pi halacha? Does this apply in Chutz Laaretz where the chillul shabbos
question is not relevant? That would be quite interesting, people in
America saying Hallel on Monday and people in Israel saying hallel on
Tuesday.

What would be more "interesting" is people in America saying Hallel on
Monday while people in Israel are commemorating the soldiers who were killed
defending the Jews of Medinat Yisrael.

It is probably simplest for me to refer you to the discussion of this point
on Lookjed a few years back, when the Rabbanut position was established -
see http://www.lookstein.org/lookjed/read.php?f=1&i=3741&t=3741 - where I
quoted Rav Gedalia Schwartz' letter to the RCA.

In another post there, I refer to two articles that appeared in HaTzofeh (in
Hebrew) at the time, which may be of interest -

Rav Yaakov Ariel, Chief Rabbi of Ramat Gan presented the practical and
Halakhic reasoning behind the change appears at http://tinyurl.com/2p2mq

Rav Yisrael Rozen head of Machon Tzomet (and a neighbor of mine in Alon
Shevut) argued with both at http://tinyurl.com/3y6jg pointing out (among
other things) that now the only time Yom HaAtzmaut will fall out on the
5th of Iyar will be when it occurs on a Wednesday.

Shalom

Rabbi Shalom Z. Berger, Ed.D.
The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education in the Diaspora
School of Education
Bar-Ilan University
http://www.lookstein.org
Blogging at http://schmoozed.lookstein.org/