[Avodah] days of yom haazmaut

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:33:17 PDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> the 5th of iyar is the same day as the seventh day of Pesach
> or the same as erev pesach. Hence the 5th of iyar can fall out on
> friday,shabbat,monday or wednesday.
> In the first three cases yom hazikaron/tom haazmaut is pushed off.
> Thus the chances of yom haazmaut falling on the 5th of iyar is about 25%

Excuse me for a pedantic correction. It would be 25% if friday, shabbat,
monday and wednesday were equally likely in the first place, but they aren't
because of the dehiyot of rosh hashana. "Lo Ido Rosh" makes the 5th of Iyar
on a wednesday when the molad of tishrei is on either friday or shabbat, so
the total chance is 2 in 7, not 1 in 4, i.e. about 28.5%. (The effects of
Molad Zaken cancel out, and the other dehiyot aren't a factor here).