[Avodah] Miriam and Aharon

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 06:49:25 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 00:55, T613K at aol.com wrote:
> [question from my husband --TK]
>
> I was asked why only Miriam was punished for speaking lashon hara
> about Moshe.  The pasuk clearly states that Aharon did so as well.
> Why  wasn't he also punished?  I know that there are opinions that he
> also was  stricken but the parsha does not spell that out.  Can you
> ask your areivim  pals if anyone knows?

Miriam spoke, Aharon listened, and the lashon harah was about Moshe.
All three died before entering Eretz Yisrael. According to some, Miriam
was the *only* woman who died in the midbar (since the women weren't
involved in the sin of the maraglim), and all of the other women
entered Eretz Yisrael. I've heard (and I don't recall the source) that
the incident involving the rock was supposed to be a tikkun for this
lashon harah, and Moshe and Aharon died because they didn't perform the
tikkun correctly.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/