[Avodah] More on Mitzvos and Iyun

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Fri Apr 13 10:34:43 PDT 2007

T613K at aol.com wrote:
> RDE then wrote:
>

>     >>RMB's comments are obviously true to anyone who
>     has spent time in yeshiva. I am surprised that Rav Bulman's daughter
>     never heard her father make identical statements. <<
>

> When RMB said that Torah learning "has no visible impact on the
> middos" I thought he was referring to Torah leaders, poskim, rabbanim,
> roshei yeshiva and 'gedolim.'  I thought he was making a subtly
> denigrating comment about those known collectively as "the gedolim"
> which is why I responded negatively.
>
> If he was saying that the average yeshiva bochur is not necessarily a
> paragon of midos then he is correct.  And it is true that my father
> bemoaned the lack of midos of too many yeshiva guys.

Your father did not limit his criticism to the lower levels. I remember
once discussing with him the disparagement of the baale battim in
yeshiva circles. He related the following. He was once visiting a well
known businessman when their conversation was interrupted by a phone
call. Rav Bulman heard the following. "Hello Rosh Yeshiva. ...What you
want me to be the guest of honor at the yeshiva dinner again this year?
But you promised me that when I was guest of honor recently you would
not ask me for a long time! ...." The conversation continued and the
businessman was getting more and more depressed until he final agreed.
Rav Bulman's comment was that the businessman was not stupid and he knew
exactly what the rosh yeshiva thought of him. He concluded that the
laymen can not be treated with contempt by the rabbis without there
being serious repercussions.

Daniel Eidensohn