[Avodah] 10 pieces of Chometz

Michael Kopinsky mkopinsky at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:37:20 PDT 2007

On 4/12/07, MPoppers at kayescholer.com <MPoppers at kayescholer.com> wrote:

>  OK, so let's say the reason for this minhag isn't related to the chashash
> of a b'rachah l'vatalah. Can someone tell me re what other mitzvah we're
> chosheish that the person performing the mitzvah may not perform it as well
> as possible, such that we challenge him by deliberately making it harder
> and/or more involved? IMHO, this smacks of lifnei eeveir, even if the person
> hiding the pieces is 101% sure that s/he will be able to find any which the
> searcher cannot find. (NB: I'm merely trying to understand this minhag, not
> to question the sincerity or commitment of its practicioners.) Thanks.

The purpose is not to make the mitzvah harder and more involved, but make it
more effective.  As RAM wrote, it does actually make you search more
thoroughly, which is the whole point of bedikas chametz.  You should be
looking that thoroughly in any case.  The 10 pieces is just an extra
incentive to make sure.

Michael