[Avodah] Peanuts

Harry Weiss hjweiss at panix.com
Thu Apr 12 06:18:42 PDT 2007

> From: "Yisrael Medad" <yisrael.medad at gmail.com>
>
> I know it is is late in the holiday but this came over the Shiloh list:
>
> I'm told Rav Moshe Feinstein said that there was absolutely NO basis
> for including peanuts on a 'kitnitot' list. EVEN Ashkevazimm can eat
> them.
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny?

That is what Igros Moshe says based on peanuts not being around at the
time the minhag began, but there is one very big caveat.  He also says
that if you are in place where the custom is NOT to eat peanuts, they are
assur.

Now days among Ashkenazim that is almost universal.  When I was child I
remember that on Pesach we always used Peanut oil.  When is the last time
you saw peanut oil under reliable US hashgacha?