[Avodah] More on Mitzvos and Iyun

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 2 07:38:06 PDT 2007

RAM wrote:
> If they
> simply look at the case, and how Shulchan Aruch sees it, then you are
> correct. But if they continue beyond that, to learn the rishonim
> which the Shulchan Aruch comes from, and then the gemaras which those
> rishonim quoted, wouldn't that be great?

You are right. That is what I thought of when stating that the case method
should not be the sole method of study, but rather complimentary, for
otherwise, "[the students] won't have acquired first hand knowledge of
primary text (Talmud)." In addition, your idea depends on the students
already having developed solid reading skills, "to learn the rishonim which
the Shulchan Aruch comes from, and then the gemaras which those rishonim
quoted."

Pessa'h kasher vesamea'h
--
Arie Folger