[Avodah] kombucha

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 23:41:18 PDT 2007

>>I don't see why it should be chametz.  I suppose it may  depend on what
it's been fed recently.  I wonder, though, about the  kashrut of a clearly
visible collection of living creatures, each of which is  individually too
small to be seen.  If there is nothing in this  "mushroom" except living
creatures, should it not be treif?>>

--
Zev  Sero

Why?  Is yeast treif?  Are bacteria treif?  Acidophilus in  yogurt, for
example?  Is a fungus treif -- mushrooms?  Is moss  treif?  Seaweed?  What living
creatures are we talking about  here?  But I will say that this name --
"kombucha" -- /sounds/  treif, too reminiscent of "Kumbaya" my friend. :-)

--Toby  Katz