[Avodah] Netziv Story

Boruch Horowitz borhowitz at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 13:57:06 PDT 2007

  Quoting RYGB:

  > I think this is a horrible, terrible story, and reason in itself for
  the book to have been banned. :-)

  If one is  against  banning   My Uncle the Netziv, or against bans as a  general rule, then they should be consistent, and  be against banning even such stories   At  times(not always)it may be  appropriate to follow, what is attributed to Voltaire(I think in error):  I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it  :)

  <It is the most anti-TIDE story I know, but even more so, enough to
  impose an eternal guilt trip on so many people who would actually do
  well to seek a profession and be neheneh me'yegi'a kapeihem.

  A person, especially a child, needs to know how to *dahare* and put a story in context. As long as an educator explains the Netziv story properly and in context of pro-TIDE sources, it doesn't have to lead to a guilt trip. Sometimes however, I agree that a story is so terrible that it should not be told at all.

  For example, someone wanted to bring out the point that people should have more sensitivity and not say: *that statement is retarded*. To illustrate the point, this person told a * scary story*, where someone made such a statement, and then had a retarded child. Such a  story and *lesson* is  false and dangerous for more than one reason,  and should not be told, even if it is  *frum-sounding*.

  (I used asterisks instead of quotations, as the latter appears as question marks).