[Avodah] Yeshivishe Peyos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jun 15 13:29:15 PDT 2007

On Sun, June 10, 2007 2:28 am, mkopinsky at gmail.com wrote:
: Having a pretty case for an esrog or megilla shows chibuv mitzvah.  Is
: there an element of chibuv for lavim? ...
: Where does the halachic literature talk about noi mitzvah?  Is there
: any precedent of noi mitzvah for lavim? ...

As a non halachic source, see peirushim on "zeh keili ve'anveihu".

If you accept chibuv mitzvah as a halachic concept and noi (like the
fancy case), is a demonstration of chibuv, I don't know why you would
suggest the idea is only aggadic.

But no, I don't know of one. Never thought to look -- people throw
around the term to the point that I never questioned it.

But I just noticed this diyuq in a post sent on Sun, June 10, 2007
1:58am, by R Danny Schoemann:
: The phrase "lo siga bo yad" seems to have been coined by the Beis
: Yosef - and there he clearly means as you say it does - not to narrow
: the width of the Payes.

He didn't coin the phrase, the BY *borrowed* it. From ma'amad har Sinai.

Is it intentional that the BY is implicitly comparing peiyos to har
Sinai during the revelation? If so... that's serious chibuv mitzvah
for our lav.