[Avodah] Avodah Digest, Vol 23, Issue 129 -- OFF LIST

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 4 05:57:28 PDT 2007

RTK wrote:
> This is an embarrassingly elementary question, but maybe someone could
>  take the time to answer it anyway:  Why would surgery make an animal treif
>  -- if the surgery cured what was wrong with the animal and the animal is
> now perfectly healthy?

This is a well known halakhic question that has no easy answers. We assume
that the 18 tereifos are fixed, hence we don't add newly discovered
pathologies, but also do not substract from them. Thus, one may wonder about
the anomaly of having tereifus lirefuoh. We are generally machmir out of
doubt.

--
Arie Folger
http://www.ariefolger.googlepages.com