[Avodah] R' Menachem Mendel Mishklov

Shoshana L. Boublil toramada at bezeqint.net
Mon May 28 01:55:24 PDT 2007

I'll post, shortly responses to the sources brought here concerning R' Chaim and others, but I came across a book that is relevant to this topic called "The Return to Jerusalem: The renewal of the Jewish Settlements in Eretz Yisrael during the 19th century", by Prof. Aryeh Morgenstern.

(he.wikipedia.org/wiki/אריה_מורגנשטרן )

Prof. Morgenstern concentrates on Talmidei HaGra, led by R' Menachem Mendel of Shklov, who came to Israel following the passing of the Gr"a, with the purpose and intention to build Israel as a way of bringing the Ge'ula closer.

The book contains a letter (or a reference to it) written by R' Menachem Mendel in 1820, where he refers to the rebuilding of Jerusalem as "Atchalta De'Ge'ula".

Interesting enough both R' Menachem Mendel and the Chatam Sofer considered the earth quake in Tzefat to be a result of Not building Jerusalem, or as the Chatam Sofer wrote: "Yerushalayim Gavta Et Kevoda".

The book connects between 2 threads, as apparently the Gr"a explained that the 3 shevu'ot refer only to Beit HaMikdash itself, but they can (and should) rebuild Israel and prepare what is needed for the Beit HaMikdash.

Shoshana L. Boublil