[Avodah] News From Our Eruv Project

Elliott Shevin eshevin at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 11:39:14 PDT 2007

We've just received a notice from our local eruv project, including details of an
arrangement with a pharmacy which is located just outside the eruv to permit
pickup of medicines on Shabbos and Yom Tov with payment to be made later.

What I thought odd was a statement that to use the service on Shabbos, one
would have to get a non-Jewish employee to bring the medicine to within the
eruv to the Jewish purchaser.

I confirmed with my rav this morning: the pharmacy is in a carmelis.  (In fact, there are
plans afoot to extend the eruv to include the pharmacy, so the eruv committee
apparently agrees.) The concept of carmelis is a miderabannin. Carrying from the
pharmacy into the eruv is therefore a miderabannin.

Now, why would you be acquiring medicine on Shabbos unless it were for
someone who is at least a choleh she-ain bo sacana? And unless my memory
fails me, in such a case, one may violate a miderabannin. So there's no reason
the Jew can't take the medicine directly from the pharmacy to wherever
it's needed, provided he doesn't traverse an actual reshus harabim.

I'm presuming that this won't usually apply for a choleh she-yaish bo sacana,
as such a person would be heading for the hospital.  :-)

Any thoughts? Elly"Striving to bring Torah Judaism into the 58th century"