[Avodah] [Areivim] shelo osani ...

Moshe Yehuda Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Sat May 26 21:01:28 PDT 2007

R' MB on Areivim:
*I asked my LOR about it after seeing the grammatically correct form
*suggested for women in Rinat Yisrael. For the curious, after getting
*his pesaq, I taught my daughter "Modah ani". Fortunately, it's the
*same number of syllables as the masculine version, so I didn't have to
*think of a new sing-song for it.

If one can change the Nusach Hatefillah to suit his/her state of being,
shouldn't there be many, many changes to be made? Every Tefillah in Lashon
Rabim will have to be changed to Lashon Yachid, when davening alone, and the
opposite when davening with a Tzibbur. Every Lashon Zachor will have to be
changed to Lashon Nekeivah for women. I don't have Mareh Mekomos, but I
highly doubt that the Meyasdei Nusach Hatefillah had this in mind. Why
should Modeh/Modah Ani be different (going with the assumption that the
reader agrees with me)?

KT,
MYG

P.S. Haneiros Hallalu would have to be Haneir Hazeh (or is it Zos?) on the
first night of Chanukah, or for someone lighting only one candle...