[Avodah] Wording of Kaddish

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Tue May 22 10:38:18 PDT 2007

Reb ramiller500 at aol.com wrote:
: 1.  In the Kaddish, when, where, and by whom was the earliest known
: use of these word forms? (pardon my layman's orthography)---
: a.  Yisgadeil
: b.  V'Yiskadeish
: c.  Tiskabeil
: d.  Any others heard in some shul(s), where a tzeire has (seemingly at
: least!) replaced a patach

RMB then wrote:
> As far as I know, c and d are errors caused by (a). IOW, someone is
> about to give some reason I never heard for them.

Beme'hilat kevod toratkha, it isn't obvious that c and d are errors. I would
argue the opposite. If the Gra's explanation requires the change which the
Mishnah Verurah suggests (which I, frankly, highly doubt; Yekkishe nussa'h is
very precise, and there is no hint of the tradition of saying yitgadal would
be anything less than correct), then, we should be consisten and apply the
correction accross the board. Also outside of qaddish, such as in the one but
last blessing of the 'amidah.

Eh, but as RAB pointed out (mentioned in RMB's post I am replying to), the Gra
probably didn't say what some rightly highly respected others have theorized
he did.

KT,
--
Arie Folger