[Avodah] Piyut Bar Yochai (was: Re: shelo osani)

Shoshana L. Boublil toramada at bezeqint.net
Mon May 21 22:44:56 PDT 2007

> Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 06:30:42 +0300
> From: "Simon Montagu" <simon.montagu at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Avodah] shelo osani

> 'Bar Yohhai, Yud hhochma keduma
> Hishkafta lichvodo penima
> La"v netivot, reshit hateruma
> At keruv mimshahh ziv orecha'
>
> I've sometimes seen the third line of that verse printed as 'Sheloshim
> ushtaim netivot', but it's almost impossible to sing it that way, at least
> to the melody we use at home. I tell my children: to sing that line, all
> you
> need is 'La"v'.

This Piyut was written by R' Lavi of Tripoli, Libya [notice the acronym].

Indeed, there is a lesser known melody, from Libya, that has a slightly
different cadence,
and all the words and emphasise in the piyut work out correctly.

I'm hoping to get a recording of it one day from my husband and his family,
and I'll post a link when I put it on the net.

Shoshana L. Boublil