[Avodah] kashrus of milk

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Mon May 21 08:41:26 PDT 2007

>Actually, AFAIK the Cholov Yisroel farms check out the cows to ensure
>that they are not treif.
>This probably cannot be and is not done in the CA/S farms.

Let's not forget that milk you drink is pooled from many many sources
(different farms, different herds). And there's also a safek whether the
"treif" milk is actually treif [no documentation that the cow underwent
any surgical intervention] . The svara goes like this:<SNIP>
So there are basically two factors to consider: is non-kosher milk a
gezeira similar to a Toraitic prohibition, and is the mixture min b'mino
or min b'she'eino mino. And what possible proportion of non-kosher milk,
if any, was mixed into kosher milk.

So factoring in the above and seeing how huge 20,000 gallon vats of milk
are processed, even if some real treif milk entered the supply chain, it
probably wouldn't affect the kashrut status of the milk.

Josh
====
Firstly there are a lot of treif cows on chalav yisrael farms - just
that we don't check to see if they are in that category presumably based
on rov and kashe lvarrer. However if the statistical % is greater than
2% and we hold 1/60, it's not at all clear why we are allowed to drink
the milk unless we hold it to be a separate category of some kind or
that since we don't "know" that any are treif, we don't worry (however
this would not reconcile with that we check lungs of animals we
slaughter).
Chag Sameach
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.