[Avodah] shemitta

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at yeshivanet.com
Thu May 17 17:39:50 PDT 2007

>From: Moshe Feldman [mailto:moshe.feldman at gmail.com]
>
>"Samuel Svarc" <ssvarc at yeshivanet.com> wrote:
><<Furthermore, Yishuv EY today is not a mitzvah according to the Rambam
>and many others, so there is no problem in not facilitating someone else's
>Yishuv.>>
>
>Actually, DL and some Litvish charedim I've spoken to here seem to
>believe that the halacha is like the Ramban.

How can one impose his own reasoning on other people who don't hold that
way?

> And it is not clear that
>the Rambam holds that there is no mitzvah:

The Ramban felt that way, as he argued against the Rambam, making it clear
what he understood the Rambam's position to be.

> And Rav Moshe Feinstein holds that according to the Rambam it's a
>mitzvah kiyumis.

Which is definitely not a chiyuv on someone else to facilitate.

><<I'm surprised that you'd insist on charedim applying R' Kook's
>understanding
>of the Ramban instead of the interpretation of their manhig, the CI.>>>
>
>First, I noted that Rav Kook's understanding is the pashut pshat in
>the Ramban.

In R' Kook's opinion. The CI disagreed with this.

>Second, the CI himself strongly pushed Otzar Bais Din
>over buying produce from Arabs. So charedim should follow their
>manhig completely, not just for one prat.

I would assume, if the rumor that they aren't using OB is true, that the
reasoning is as follows: Experience has shown that people don't keep the
"kedushat sheviis" properly. So they picked the better of two evils, as
their manhig didn't feel there was a chiyuv to eat peiros sheviis.

KT,
MSS